[Thomson Reuters response to Larsen & von Ins (in press)]

Kim Hamilton KHamilton at PATENTBOARD.COM
Mon May 3 15:00:24 EDT 2010

I have to correct Kevin in his comments about the National Science Indicators (NSI). Upon first reading the Larsen, et al paper, I too thought NSI referred to what is reported in the NSF's biennial Science & Engineering Indicators (SEI), but in fact I believe it is a Thomson product.

The database on which SEI is built is in fact the SCI, and always has been, although starting in 1988 fully covered journals in the SSCI were added (caveat: journals in what we categorize as Professional Fields (Mgmt & Bus, Educ, Law, etc) have not been included as NSF does not track those subfields). And, to correct Larsen, et al, only Articles, Notes, and Reviews are counted, not Letters. NSF fully documents what is included and how counts are made in their SEI reports.

Kevin is correct that the list of journals included in SEI can be obtained through Lawrence Burton.

Kim Hamilton
SEI principal investigator
ipIQ (dba The Patent Board and formerly CHI Research)
khamilton at patentboard.com

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin Boyack
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:26 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] [Thomson Reuters response to Larsen & von Ins (in press)]

Regarding your questions below:

-          Up until 2007, when I was at Sandia, the AISTI group (a group of national labs and some universities) licensed SCIE (and SSCI ...) and hosted it at LANL. I would presume that they have not since downgraded to SCI.

-          Yes, versioning makes a huge difference, and most authors in info science/bibliometrics seem to know the difference, although some seem not to.

-          And, the National Science Indicators uses NEITHER the SCI or SCIE. It uses a hand-picked set of about 5000 journals from the ISI indexes (curated historically by CHI - Fran Narin's shop - and now by iPiQ) that was probably very similar to SCI back in the 1970s, and which is now probably akin to an SCI++, but certainly containing far less than SCIE. So, the NSI numbers are not easily compared to anything else out there. If anyone is interested in the exact list of journals used by NSI, they can contact Lawrence Burton at NSF.

Best regards,
Kevin