bibliog. + cit. database [help request]

Franjo Pehar | unizd.hr fpehar at UNIZD.HR
Mon Jan 8 11:14:48 EST 2007

Dear Christina,

Thank you for your answer. I've received a very good suggestion from Loet
Leydersdorff and your problem approach is also very interesting! RefWorks
and EndNote are only citation managers that allow you to import cited/citing
references to some extent. The only problem is that in case of EndNote you
have to import references into the Notes field or you have to create a new
field labeled as "cited and/or cited references". After creating a new field
or using the existing Notes field the imported data is included in wrapped
format. It would be laudably if the vendor would offer integrated record
fields for cited/citing references that use a standard filter for import of
non-wrapped and itemized data. Of course, one would expect ISI to include
the ISI export format into EndNote!

I appreciate your replay.

Best wishes,
Franjo

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of Pikas, Christina K.
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 3:35
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] bibliog. + cit. database [help request]

I've been debating this exact thing.  I was considering developing an export
style for a bibliographic manager (either ProCite or RefWorks) that would
basically create an ISI tagged file.  This is mostly fairly straightforward,
with the exception of the cited/citing references.
Scopus doesn't want to export citing references and WoS dumps them in the
note field.  Of course, the citations are probably the exact point of your
research!

I did a co-author matrix by exporting all of my "recent articles by APL
authors" listing from RefWorks to Excel.  I had it convert the ; to columns,
then did a find and replace with a node number for each author (I could have
left the authors but I judged that more error prone).
Yes, this was pretty arduous, but it gave me what I needed. The input file
is then of the form:

*vertices #
1 "Pikas, C.K."

1 26 78 93
25 32 79
Etc.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS {PhD Student @ University of Maryland} R.E. Gibson
Library & Information Center The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics
Laboratory Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore) Fax
443.778.5353