SIGMETRICS Digest - 7 Jul 2006 to 8 Jul 2006 (#2006-99)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Jul 10 06:39:34 EDT 2006

SCI 2004

SoSCI 2004

Combined

Number of source journals

5968

1712

7379

unique journal-journal relations

1,038,268

96,207

1,195,158

sum of journal-journal relations

18,943,827

966,619

20,326,793

average cell value

18.25

10.05

17.01

total 'citing'

25,798,965

2,909,219

27,961,981

total 'cited'

20,909,401

1,453,397

21,810,032

'within-journal citations'

2,016,500

137,269

2,107,885

Source:  <http://www.leydesdorff.net/sci_sosci/index.htm> Mapping
Interdisciplinarity at the Interfaces between the Science Citation Index and
the Social Science Citation Index, Scientometrics (forthcoming); <
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/sci_sosci/sci+sosci.pdf> pdf-version>

The within-journal citations are of the order of 10%, but this percentage
varie among journals.

Statistics

Valid

7379

Missing

0

Mean

12.6395

Median

9.0596

Mode

.00

Std. Deviation

12.66792

Variance

160.476

Skewness

2.297

Std. Error of Skewness

.029

Kurtosis

7.157

Std. Error of Kurtosis

.057

Minimum

.00

Maximum

100.00

Using local citation maps at http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr04/cited, one is
able to correct for "within-journal" citations.

Best wishes,   Loet

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

<http://online.wsj.com/quotes/main.html?type=djn&symbol=tms> &symbol=tms>
Corp.,