SIGMETRICS Digest - 7 Jul 2006 to 8 Jul 2006 (#2006-99)

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Jul 10 06:15:30 EDT 2006

Interesting comment, and no doubt valid about a number of routine
biasses. I repeat only that an Open Access database, containing all
citations to and from an article, author, and journal (not just the
ISI subset) will make it possible to calculate baselines for self-
citation, by field or subfield, and to compare and rank individual
papers, authors and journals relative to their respective ("endogamy/
exogamy") baselines. Egregious cases can be detected and named-and-
shamed. It seems to me that this introduces a form of openness and
answerability that the more partial/proprietary citation counts until
now did not allow, and that it will serve to expose and minimize
biasses. (Similarly, full-text overlap indices of various kinds will
be derivable to compare with norms and baselines for the detection of
plagiarism as well as legitimate lineage.) It seems to me it is
highly unlikely that Open Access will fail to have a profound effect
on these variables and practises.

I would also like to offer a conjecture: For every new means of abuse
that the Web breeds (download agents to pad download counts; padded
link counts, etc.), it will soon thereafter breed a new means of
countering the abuse (rather like the endless cartoon series of spy-
vs-spy ploys in Mad Magazine  a few decades ago).

Stevan Harnad