[Sigmetrics] Validity of Journal IF

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sat Mar 11 01:42:56 EST 2017

Dear Stephen,

I learned from you that IFs were developed for fields like bio-medicine with
high turn-over rates at a research front. The model was provided by Martyn,
J., & Gilchrist, A. (1968). An Evaluation of British Scientific Journals.
London: Aslib.

Review journals have a long cited half-life time. One would not expect to be
able to predict the citation of review articles within a two-year window,
wouldn't one?

Best,

Loet