[Sigmetrics] Validity of Journal IF

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at lsu.edu
Sat Mar 11 09:35:21 EST 2017

Loet,

I was surprised that my contribution made it through, because my server was blocking my sendings for being a "spoofer" getting ready to hack everybody on this listserv.  Shades of the DNC.  I may be horrified at how many of my comments made it through because I was fighting this thing.

You are right about the field of development but things are field dependent, and I do not want to get  into technicalities.  That is your specialty.  On a general level, I always thought that the IF would a good way to judge the rank of various programs.  By IF journals distribute in the usual power-law fashion with a slope/exponent of probably about 2.  One could take a given program like biotech at Amsterdam and check how far out on the asymptote the journals in which it publishes are.  The more of them further out and particularly at the right tip of the asymptote they are, the higher the contribution of the program to its field.  This would be according to Gene's theoretical conception of the IF.

I am sure that you could whip together a measurement like this in a whiffy, including comparative program measurements.

Steve B.