[Sigmetrics] Validity of Journal IF

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:35:47 EST 2017

Journal IF is a valid measure mainly because of the role of the review article in the scientific information system.  In general review journals have the highest IF, and it is for this reason Garfield made it his key measure.  In general you have to be invited to write a review article, and you are invited because journal editors know you.  I discuss all these matter in my articles Gene Garfield has posted on his Web site.  I have spent my entire career analyzing why Garfield was so important.  Basically I am a historian, and the role of the historian is to make other people famous--not yourself.  For example, Garfield was the grandfather of the Google search engine for showing relationships--not words--are semantically correct.  I also discuss these matters in papers posted on my Google Scholar citations page, which I have made public.  If you read these materials, I only hope you find that I have done him justice.

Respectfully,

Stephen J. Bensman, Ph.D.

LSU Libraries (Retired)