382 researchers with an h-index of 100 or larger

Andreas Strotmann andreas.strotmann at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 27 11:21:39 EDT 2014

Thank you very much, Isidro, for what should become a future text-book
example for just how lousy a metric for researcher quality the h index is,
not just for young scholars, but even for the most venerated classics. Let
me just highlight Max Weber: ~ 10th by number of citations (as the founding
father of modern sociology, a fitting place), but well below 200th place by
h index (and since this ranking is highly incomplete - I'm missing Luhmann
and Habermas amongst his colleagues, for example - he'd probably end up in
the 300s in a complete ranking).  When people are mostly cited for their
books, as German sociologists are, their h-index is naturally and severely
limited by the number of their publications, not citations.

May I suggest, therefore, that you redo the ranking by numbers of citations
rather than h-index?

Best regards,

 -- Andreas Strotmann