High Time To Start Getting Serious About Open Access

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Wed May 28 10:20:08 EDT 2014

On May 28, 2014, at 6:33 AM, David Wojick <dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US> wrote:

> I have been getting serious about open access. Specifically I have started a weekly
> subscription newsletter called "Inside Public Access" (see http://insidepublicaccess.com/).
> We are tracking the emerging US Public Access program, which should be a major influence
> on worldwide open access policies. In any case it is a massive and complex program in
> it's own right. Our rates are quite reasonable as these things go. We just published our eighth
> weekly issue and our backlist is included with new subscriptions. Individual issues are also available.
>
> Interesting times,
> David Wojick, Ph.D.
> Inside Public Access
> http://insidepublicaccess.com/

Wow, is that ever the opposite of what I said, and meant, which was about getting serious,
not getting rich!

$500 per year or $20 per issue to read what one individual has to say about open access...

Let’s hope that the emerging US Public Access program will be “tracked” — and its policy shaped — by
knowledgeable representatives of the research community, motivated to facilitate and accelerate OA growth,
rather than by “policy consultants” motivated to constrain and retard it.

Caveat Emptor