Yet Another "OA" Study Comparing Apples and Fruit?

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 3 09:26:18 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Bosman, J.M. <j.bosman at uu.nl> wrote:

> I can confirm this. Green OA disregarded. But the finding that libre
> journals provide better info on their retractions stands.

Disregarded indeed, but in a rather roundabout way:

*Addendum: *Someone kindly sent me a copy of the full text, so I now see
that Green OA was taken into account in this study after all, although the
author persists in describing the non-differences found as pertaining to OA
publishing vs. non-OA publishing, whereas they do not: They pertain to *whether
or not the article is OA* -- and it can be OA whether it is published in a
Gold OA journal or in a non-OA journal. The author writes:

*"the increasingly prominent body of open access literature is as reliable
(and maybe more so) and of the same quality as the literature published
under the model that was the gold standard for scholarly communications in
the previous century"*

This continues to be a comparison of *apples versus fruit*, since at least
as much of the literature that is open access today is "published under the
gold standard for scholarly communications in the previous century" --
namely, the subscription-access (i.e., non-OA) publishing model (here
confusingly called the "gold standard" publishing model, which is of course
the opposite of the Gold OA publishing model) -- as is published under the
Gold OA publishing model.

Open access is a property of the *article*, not necessarily of the *journal*.
Hence OA articles are not necessarily being published under a different
publishing model.

The study compared biomedical articles that were Gratis OA (free online),
Libre OA (free online plus re-use rights) and non-OA, based on the PubMed
Central (Libre OA), PubMed (Gratis OA and non-OA), Google Scholar (Gratis
OA and non-OA) and Web of Science (journal impact factor and article
citation rates) databases, for the proportion of retracted articles (under
1%) and for their post-retraction citation rate drops.

The outcome was mostly the finding of no differences. The only exception
was a higher average impact factor for the journals in which Gratis OA
articles were published compared to the (mostly Gold) journals in which
Libre OA articles were published (not surprising, since most high impact
journals are still non-OA journals today). No difference at all between the
journals in which the Gratis Green OA articles were published and non-OA
journals (not surprising, since this was a comparison of apples with fruit).

*Stevan Harnad*