OA

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Wed Oct 23 14:26:58 EDT 2013

Thanks for the plug Stevan. While we are at it I have been meaning to ask
you a question. As I understand it your position is that all published
articles should be immediately available for free. My question is why then
anyone would subscribe to a journal? I am sure you have an answer but I
have no idea what it is, as your proposal seems to defy the basic laws of
economics. Immediate deposit seems to be self defeating. What have I missed?

David

At 01:50 PM 10/23/2013, you wrote:
>Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe):
>http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html
>On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, David Wojick
><<mailto:dwojick at craigellachie.us>dwojick at craigellachie.us> wrote:
>
>The USA has the lead here, as far as major funder mandates are concerned,
>and they have opted for a 12 month publisher embargo form of green OA. I
>have several articles on this at
><http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/author/dwojick/>http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/author/dwojick/
>

>Peter does not even discuss what is actually happening on the policy front.
>

>On leads vs. lags and analysis vs argument, see:
>
><http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/1027-.html>Revealing
>Dialogue on "CHORUS" with David Wojick, OSTI Consultant
>

>The exchange is preceded by the following note (by me):
>

>Note: <http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/about/>David Wojick works part
>time as the Senior Consultant for Innovation at
><http://www.osti.gov/home/>OSTI, the Office of Scientific and Technical
>Information, in the Office of Science of the US Department of Energy. He
>has a PhD in logic and philosophy of science, an MA in mathematical logic,
>and a BS in civil engineering. In the exchanges below, he sounds [to me]
>very much like a publishing interest lobbyist, but judge for yourself. He
>also turns out to have a rather curious [and to me surprising]
><http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=David_E._Wojick>history in
>environmental matters

>The topic continued (and continues) to be discussed on the Society for
>Scholarly Publishing's blog,
>"<http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/about/>The Scholarly Kitchen," where
>DW is a frequent contributor.
>
>DW: "Peter Suber is a leader of the OA movement. His article is an
>argument, not an analysis. He seems to be oblivious to what is actually
>going on
. Happy OA week."