list of abbrev. for journals

Zelnio, Ryan J CIV NSWCDD, Q31 ryan.zelnio at NAVY.MIL
Wed Oct 9 08:18:37 EDT 2013

The group behind Sci2 at UIndiana compile the ISI abbreviations into a txt file and can be downloaded directly at:

http://nwb.cns.iu.edu/svn/nwb/branches/ant-build/sci2/deployment/edu.iu.sci2.gui.brand/extra-files/configuration/JournalGroups.txt

or you can go directly to the source and compile it in your own format at:
http://images.webofknowledge.com/WOK45/help/WOS/0-9_abrvjt.html

-Ryan Zelnio

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Colin Paul Gloster
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:32 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] list of abbrev. for journals

On 30th September 2013, Clement Levallois sent:
|"I am looking for a list of journals and their abbreviations, in file
|format| (csv or else). Is this resource made publicly available by ISI or an other  |
|institution?                                                                |
|Best wishes,                                                                |
|Clement Levallois"                                                          |

Different people use different abbreviations. Some example abbreviations:
WWW.ScienceMag.org/site/feature/contribinfo/prep/res/journal_abbrevs.xhtml

I quote from an email from Mark Newman to this email list timestamped Thu, 8 Aug 2013 12:57:05 -0400 quoting an email from Marie E. McVeigh:
|"[. . .]                                                                   |

|| I do need to specify that this is NOT due to the difference in the
|title.  | We use a variety of metadata fingerprints on source and on cited reference |
|to match and link, but none requires a complete or perfect match in the    |
|cited title string.  The more non-title elements match, the less dependent |
|we are on source title.  The algorithms are bolstered by standard word     |
|abbreviations and an expert curation of title variants – Phys Rev E,
|alone,| has 17 recorded variants, once we impose standard abbreviation of Physical |
|and of Review.  All “linked” citations show the Thomson Reuters – JCR      |
|abbreviation PHYS REV E because, once linking is established by metadata   |
|match, we aggregate the references to our system-standard title.  That
|is  | also applied to the 209 citations that are linked to the Medline Record for|
|the article used in your example – we are preferentially displaying the    |
|Medline title of the source rather than any of the variations of the title |
|that appeared in the original citation.  I can pretty well guarantee you   |
|that they did not all cite “Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys”.      |
|Probably most said “Phys Rev E”.                                           |

|| Because we retain in our system metadata all of the title variants
|that are| associated even with a collection of references that are all
|unified (like | the 209 refs to “May RM, Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft
|Matter Phys” and the  |
|72 refs to “May RM, PHYS REV E” both references can be retrieved from
|Web  | of Science using a cited reference search for Cited Work = PHYS REV E or a |
|cited reference search for Cited Work = “PHYSICAL REVIEW E”                |
|Marie E. McVeigh"                                                          |

Best wishes,
Colin Paul Gloster