list of abbrev. for journals

Colin Paul Gloster Colin_Paul_Gloster at ACM.ORG
Wed Oct 9 07:32:20 EDT 2013

On 30th September 2013, Clement Levallois sent:
|"I am looking for a list of journals and their abbreviations, in file format|
|(csv or else). Is this resource made publicly available by ISI or an other  |
|institution?                                                                |
|Best wishes,                                                                |
|Clement Levallois"                                                          |

Different people use different abbreviations. Some example abbreviations:
WWW.ScienceMag.org/site/feature/contribinfo/prep/res/journal_abbrevs.xhtml

I quote from an email from Mark Newman to this email list timestamped
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 12:57:05 -0400 quoting an email from Marie E. McVeigh:
|"[. . .]                                                                   |
|                                                                           |
|I do need to specify that this is NOT due to the difference in the title.  |
|We use a variety of metadata fingerprints on source and on cited reference |
|to match and link, but none requires a complete or perfect match in the    |
|cited title string.  The more non-title elements match, the less dependent |
|we are on source title.  The algorithms are bolstered by standard word     |
|abbreviations and an expert curation of title variants – Phys Rev E, alone,|
|has 17 recorded variants, once we impose standard abbreviation of Physical |
|and of Review.  All “linked” citations show the Thomson Reuters – JCR      |
|abbreviation PHYS REV E because, once linking is established by metadata   |
|match, we aggregate the references to our system-standard title.  That is  |
|also applied to the 209 citations that are linked to the Medline Record for|
|the article used in your example – we are preferentially displaying the    |
|Medline title of the source rather than any of the variations of the title |
|that appeared in the original citation.  I can pretty well guarantee you   |
|that they did not all cite “Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys”.      |
|Probably most said “Phys Rev E”.                                           |
|                                                                           |
|Because we retain in our system metadata all of the title variants that are|
|associated even with a collection of references that are all unified (like |
|the 209 refs to “May RM, Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys” and the  |
|72 refs to “May RM, PHYS REV E” both references can be retrieved from Web  |
|of Science using a cited reference search for Cited Work = PHYS REV E or a |
|cited reference search for Cited Work = “PHYSICAL REVIEW E”                |
|Marie E. McVeigh"                                                          |

Best wishes,
Colin Paul Gloster