Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Sat Sep 1 09:26:27 EDT 2012

Quoting Jean-Claude Guédon:

> Dear Isidro,

Dear JC,

> What I was trying to say is that the French, for one reason or another,
> have moved toward a central repository.

As I said, no problem with that

> There has been some resistance to HAL and your examples illustrate this.

But I am mentioning universities that are all of them accepting HAL, only that some of them give up their own name and several others decided not to renounce to their webdomain ....

> My point is not being for or against HAL; my point is that the presence
> of HAL seems to create an artefactual result that should be corrected.

>From my point of view an "artifact" is signing Poris or Frince, this a deliberate action I am not sure the rectors are really aware of that. A few months ago I met the rector of Polytechnique and she does not know its repository was not under its institutional domain. In fact she was very worried about the biases of WoS and ARWU against their scientific output in social sciences and humanities. Those biases are clearly more close to the definition of "artifact".

Best regards,