Research interests: their dynamics, structures and applications in unifying search and reasoning

Thu Sep 1 14:54:46 EDT 2011

Research interests: their dynamics, structures and applications in unifying
search and reasoning

Author(s): Zeng, Y (Zeng, Yi); Zhou, EZ (Zhou, Erzhong); Wang, Y (Wang,
Yan); Ren, X (Ren, Xu); Qin, YL (Qin, Yulin); Huang, ZS (Huang, Zhisheng);
Zhong, N (Zhong, Ning)
Source: JOURNAL OF INTELLIGENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS  Volume: 37  Issue:
1  Pages: 65-88  DOI: 10.1007/s10844-010-0144-1  Published: AUG 2011

Abstract: Most scientific publication information, which may reflects scientists'
research interests, is publicly available on the Web. Understanding the
characteristics of research interests from previous publications may help to
provide better services for scientists in the Web age. In this paper, we
introduce some parameters to track the evolution process of research
interests, we analyze their structural and dynamic characteristics. According to
the observed characteristics of research interests, under the framework of
unifying search and reasoning (ReaSearch), we propose interests-based
unification of search and reasoning (I-ReaSearch). Under the proposed I-
ReaSearch method, we illustrate how research interests can be used to
improve literature search on the Web. According to the relationship between an
author's own interests and his/her co-authors interests, social group interests
are also used to refine the literature search process. Evaluation from both the
user satisfaction and the scalability point of view show that the proposed I-
ReaSearch method provides a user centered and practical way to problem
solving on the Web. The efforts provide some hints and various methods to
support personalized search, and can be considered as a step forward user
centric knowledge retrieval on the Web. From the standpoint of the Active
Media Technology (AMT) on the Wisdom Web, in this paper, the study on the
characteristics of research interests is based on complex networks and human
dynamics, which can be considered as an effort towards utilizing information
physics to discover and explain the phenomena related to research interests of
scientists. The application of research interests aims at providing scientific
researchers best means and best ends in an active way for literature search on
the Web.

Language: English
Document Type: Article
Author Keywords: Research interest detection; Retained interest; Interest
duration; Web search refinement; Unifying search and reasoning
KeyWords Plus: COMPUTER-SCIENCE; PATTERNS; WEB

Addresses: [Zeng, Y; Zhou, EZ; Wang, Y; Ren, X; Qin, YL] Beijing Univ
Technol, Int WIC Inst, Beijing 100124, Peoples R China
[Huang, ZS] Vrije Univ Amsterdam, Div Math & Comp Sci, NL-1081 HV
Amsterdam, Netherlands
[Zhong, N] Maebashi Inst Technol, Dept Life Sci & Informat, Maebashi, Gumma
3710816, Japan
Reprint Address: Zeng, Y (reprint author), Beijing Univ Technol, Int WIC Inst,
Beijing 100124, Peoples R China

E-mail Address: yizeng at bjut.edu.cn, huang at cs.vu.nl, zhong at maebashi-it.ac.jp
ISSN: 0925-9902