SV: [SIGMETRICS] skewed citation distributions should not be averaged

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Thu Sep 1 07:41:56 EDT 2011

Dear Jesper and colleagues,

This discussion is a bit amazing to me.

Concerning sampling. Random sampling has a precise, technical meaning:
> sample units are drawn independently, and each unit in the population has an
> equal chance to be drawn at each stage.

This is how I learned it. We almost never have this condition in our type of
studies. For example, if one is interested in the impact of a research unit
in a field of science, one does not draw randomly from the papers in this
field of science, but with very precise criteria. Thus, we do not study
random samples in this type of designs. Do we agree?

> Independence, equal chance and the population are central issues. Leaving,
> independence and chance aside (most often they are violated), defining the
> population is central to your question. You need a clearly defined real
> population, or a natural chance mechanism, in order to justify random
> sampling - in order to claim a random sample of something manifest.

Isn't the reference set considered as the population. For example, the
journal or the field, or the country. One cannot even compute percentiles
without specification of a reference set. The reference set is also needed
for the specification of the expectation.

Unlike biology (or medicine), we are not dealing with populations and random
samples from this, but with specific--culturally meaningful--sets and
subsets thereof.

> Imaginary, assumed or super-populations are ill-defined and quite frankly
> convenient fictions because they do not have any empirical existence of
> their own. Random sampling from such "populations" also become fictitious as
> the data-generation mechanism is uncertain and assumptions become
> unjustifiable.

Wolfgang's point is that the means of the samples are normally distributed
even if the samples are not. Thus, one can compare means as "unbiased
estimators" of the distributions (using parametric statistics, e.g., the
t-test). Now that I fully understand this point (given some offline
conversation), I agree with it.

However, one should not use means (or other central tendency statistics) for
performance evaluation. (If one wishes nevertheless to use means then these
means are normally distributed. :-)). Using the mean, the N in the
denominator has detrimental effects on performance measurement. For example,
if one compares two equally highly cited authors with equal N, and one adds
to the one a number of PhD students and postdocs and not to the other, the
two research groups will be very differently evaluated when using the N in
the denominator. However, the less-cited papers of the juniores add to the
impact of the unit.

If I hit you twice, the impact is not the average of the two hits, but the
sum. The surfaces beneath the citation curves have to be integrated and can
then be summed and substracted. However, the integration would lead to
"total cites", but this is too raw a number. By first normalizing in terms
of percentages, one can make sure that top-1% is compared with top-1%, etc.
Both averages and sumtotals are too crude measures. The Integrated Impact
Indicator solves these issues elegantly.

In observational studies, we are often left with samples of convenience or
> "apparent populations" and we very seldom examine or justify the
> data-generation mechanism needed for a probability sample. In scientometrics
> we have "large" or "huge" second-order data sets that resembles "apparent
> populations" - we can draw random samples from these if we clearly define
> the population and ensures that a sampling technique, where units are drawn
> independently and with equal chance, is used. Using "journals", "keywords",
> "institutions" or the like as a selection criterion without defining a real
> population can easily create "selection bias" and violate the assumptions
> needed.

It seems to me that we agree. These assumptions -- needed for using means --
are usually violated in empirical studies. We deliberately introduce a
selection bias by using intellectual criteria. :-) This is not biology (or
thermodynamics).

Best wishes, Loet

--
Prof. Loet Leydesdorff