Measuring Relatedness Between Communities in a Citation Network

Thu Sep 1 14:56:53 EDT 2011

Measuring Relatedness Between Communities in a Citation Network

Author(s): Shibata, N (Shibata, Naoki); Kajikawa, A (Kajikawa, Andyuya);
Sakata, I (Sakata, Ichiro)
Source: JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND
TECHNOLOGY  Volume: 62  Issue: 7  Pages: 1360-1369  DOI:
10.1002/asi.21477  Published: JUL 2011

Abstract: As academic disciplines are segmented and specialized, it becomes
more difficult to capture relevant research areas precisely by common retrieval
strategies using either keywords or journal categories. This paper proposes a
method of measuring the relatedness among sets of academic papers in order
to detect unrelated communities which are not related to target topic. A
citation network, extracted by given keywords, is divided into communities
based on the density of links. We measured and compared four measures of
relatedness between two communities in a citation network for three large-
scale citation datasets. We used both link and semantic similarities. The
topological distance from the center in a citation network is a more efficient
measure for removing the unrelated communities than the other three
measures: the ratio of the number of intercluster links over the all links, the
ratio of the number of common terms over all terms, cosine similarity of tf-idf
vectors.

Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT; SCIENCE; STRATEGIES;
PARADIGMS; DEVICES; MAPS

Addresses: [Shibata, N; Kajikawa, A; Sakata, I] Univ Tokyo, Innovat Policy Res
Ctr, Sch Engn, Bunkyo Ku, Tokyo 1138656, Japan
[Sakata, I] Univ Tokyo, Todai Policy Alternat Res Inst, Bunkyo Ku, Tokyo
1130033, Japan
Reprint Address: Shibata, N (reprint author), Univ Tokyo, Innovat Policy Res
Ctr, Sch Engn, Bunkyo Ku, 2-11-16 Yayoi, Tokyo 1138656, Japan

E-mail Address: shibata at ipr-ctr.u-tokyo.ac.jp, kaji at ipr-ctr.u-tokyo.ac.jp,
isakata at ipr-ctr.u-tokyo.ac.jp
ISSN: 1532-2882