Boyack, KW; Klavans, R. 2010. Co-Citation Analysis, Bibliographic Coupling, and Direct Citation: Which Citation Approach Represents the Research Front Most Accurately?. JASIST. 61 (12): 2389-2404

David Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sun Jan 9 10:23:49 EST 2011

Indeed Johan, usage data may be the best way to see where the attention of
science is going.

Here is a recent brief discussion of usage data on the blog of the Society
for Scholarly Publishing.
<http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2011/01/06/will-your-next-editors-be-cyborgs-or-robots/>http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2011/01/06/will-your-next-editors-be-cyborgs-or-robots/
So the journals are at least thinking about this.

Could you give us a few links to the latest work in this area?

My best to you,

David