van Eck, NJ; Waltman, L; Dekker, R; van den Berg, J. 2010. A Comparison of Two Techniques for Bibliometric Mapping: Multidimensional Scaling and VOS. JASIST. 61 (12): 2405-2416

Sat Jan 8 13:24:32 EST 2011

van Eck, NJ; Waltman, L; Dekker, R; van den Berg, J. 2010. A Comparison of
Two Techniques for Bibliometric Mapping: Multidimensional Scaling and VOS.
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND
TECHNOLOGY 61 (12): 2405-2416..

Author Full Name(s): van Eck, Nees Jan; Waltman, Ludo; Dekker, Rommert; van
den Berg, Jan
Language: English
Document Type: Article

KeyWords Plus: AUTHOR COCITATION ANALYSIS; COMPUTATIONAL
INTELLIGENCE FIELD; INFORMATION-SCIENCE; PATHFINDER NETWORKS;
SIMILARITY MEASURES; COOCCURRENCE DATA; MAPS; REPRESENTATIONS;
COLLABORATION; VISUALIZATION

Abstract: VOS is a new mapping technique that can serve as an alternative to
the well-known technique of multidimensional scaling (MDS). We present an
extensive comparison between the use of MDS and the use of VOS for
constructing bibliometric maps. In our theoretical analysis, we show the
mathematical relation between the two techniques. In our empirical analysis,
we use the techniques for constructing maps of authors, journals, and
keywords. Two commonly used approaches to bibliometric mapping, both based
on MDS, turn out to produce maps that suffer from artifacts. Maps constructed
using VOS turn out not to have this problem. We conclude that in general maps
constructed using VOS provide a more satisfactory representation of a dataset
than maps constructed using well-known MDS approaches.

Addresses: [van Eck, Nees Jan; Waltman, Ludo] Leiden Univ, Ctr Sci & Technol
Studies, NL-2300 RA Leiden, Netherlands; [van Eck, Nees Jan; Waltman, Ludo;
Dekker, Rommert] Erasmus Univ, Erasmus Sch Econ, Inst Econometr, NL-3000
DR Rotterdam, Netherlands; [van den Berg, Jan] Delft Univ Technol, Fac
Technol Policy & Management, Sect ICT, NL-2600 AA Delft, Netherlands

Reprint Address: van Eck, NJ, Leiden Univ, Ctr Sci & Technol Studies, NL-2300
RA Leiden, Netherlands.

E-mail Address: ecknjpvan at cwts.leidenuniv.nl; waltmanlr at cwts.leidenuniv.nl;
rdekker at ese.eur.nl; j.vandenberg at tudelft.nl
ISSN: 1532-2882