Lissoni, F; Mairesse, J; Montobbio, F; Pezzoni, M. 2011. Scientific productivity and academic promotion: a study on French and Italian physicists. INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE CHANGE 20 (1): 253-294

Mon Apr 18 15:33:59 EDT 2011

Lissoni, F; Mairesse, J; Montobbio, F; Pezzoni, M. 2011. Scientific productivity
and academic promotion: a study on French and Italian physicists. INDUSTRIAL
AND CORPORATE CHANGE 20 (1): 253-294.

Author Full Name(s): Lissoni, Francesco; Mairesse, Jacques; Montobbio, Fabio;
Pezzoni, Michele
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: C23; I23; J40; O30
KeyWords Plus: SEX-DIFFERENCES; SELECTION BIAS; SCIENCE; NATIONS;
CAREERS; IMPACT

Abstract: The article examines the determinants of scientific productivity
(number of articles and journals' impact factor) for a panel of about 3600
French and Italian academic physicists active in 2004-2005. Endogeneity
problems concerning promotion and productivity are addressed by specifying a
generalized Tobit model, in which a selection probit equation accounts for the
individual scientist's probability of promotion to her present rank, and a
productivity regression estimates the effects of age, gender, cohort of entry,
and collaboration characteristics, conditional on the scientist's rank. We find
that the size and international nature of collaborative projects and co-authors'
past productivity have very significant impacts on current productivity, while
age, gender, and past productivity are also influential determinants of both
productivity and probability of promotion. Furthermore we show that the stop
and go policies of recruitment and promotion, typical of the Italian and French
centralized academic systems of governance, can leave significant long-lasting
cohort effects on research productivity.

Addresses: [Lissoni, Francesco] Univ Brescia, DIMI, I-20136 Milan, Italy;
[Lissoni, Francesco; Montobbio, Fabio; Pezzoni, Michele] Univ Bocconi, KITeS,
I-20136 Milan, Italy; [Mairesse, Jacques] CREST INSEE, F-92245 Malakoff,
France; [Mairesse, Jacques] Natl Bur Econ Res, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA;
[Mairesse, Jacques] United Nations Univ, NL-6211 TC Maastricht, Netherlands;
[Mairesse, Jacques] ICER Villa Gualino, I-10133 Turin, Italy; [Montobbio, Fabio]
Univ Insubria, Dept Econ, I-21100 Varese, Italy; Univ Bergamo, Dipartimento
Ingn Gest, Bergamo, Italy

Reprint Address: Lissoni, F, Univ Brescia, DIMI, Via Branze 38, I-20136 Milan,
Italy.
E-mail Address: lissoni at ing.unibs.it; Jacques.Mairesse at ensae.fr;
fmontobbio at eco.uninsubria.it; michele.pezzoni at unibocconi.it
ISSN: 0960-6491