China and the Royal Society

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sat Apr 2 13:01:09 EDT 2011

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for this clarification. I was confused by the sentence "Elsevier's
publication data" which I erroneously assumed to be different from Scopus
because the latter also contains, for example, "Wiley's publication data",
doesn't it?

Anyhow, the curve then raises even more questions. I understand that you do
not include letters, but this cannot make so much difference. I used the
four citable items of the ISI database for reasons of comparability and the
search string was:

AFFILCOUNTRY(United States) AND (DOCTYPE(ar) OR DOCTYPE(re) OR DOCTYPE(le)
OR DOCTYPE(cp)) AND PUBYEAR is 2008

Mutatis mutandis. The data are then:

China

United States

world

% China

% USA

2000

44,537

305,768

1,159,205

3.84203

26.37739

2001

57,755

299,688

1,207,085

4.784667

24.82741

2002

57,102

305,358

1,246,514

4.580935

24.49696

2003

69,617

324,466

1,324,869

5.254633

24.49042

2004

102,093

306,898

1,464,399

6.971666

20.95727

2005

152,365

327,734

1,600,948

9.517174

20.47125

2006

179,780

348,400

1,702,704

10.5585

20.46157

2007

203,060

362,015

1,787,264

11.3615

20.25526

2008

236,564

372,357

1,848,046

12.80076

20.14869

2009

280,911

398,232

1,911,139

14.69862

20.83742

2010

305,600

443,687

1,879,200

16.26224

23.61042

The figure in my email of a few hours ago was based on this data. There is
only weak correspondence with the data in your Figure 1.6 and the central
inference of the Royal Society report is therefore not warranted.

I look forward to the further explanation.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/