Upham, SP; Rosenkopf, L; Ungar, LH. 2010. Positioning knowledge: schools of thought and new knowledge creation. SCIENTOMETRICS 83 (2): 555-581.

Sat May 22 12:07:56 EDT 2010

Upham, SP; Rosenkopf, L; Ungar, LH. 2010. Positioning knowledge: schools of
thought and new knowledge creation. SCIENTOMETRICS 83 (2): 555-581.

Author Full Name(s): Upham, S. Phineas; Rosenkopf, Lori; Ungar, Lyle H.
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Innovation; Management; Schools of thought; Clustering
KeyWords Plus: COCITATION ANALYSIS; INTELLECTUAL STRUCTURE;
MANAGEMENT JOURNALS; CITATION PATTERNS; SCIENCE; HISTORY; SEARCH;
OLD; SPECIALTIES; EXPLORATION

Abstract: Cohesive intellectual communities called "schools of thought'' can
provide powerful benefits to those developing new knowledge, but can also
constrain them. We examine how developers of new knowledge position
themselves within and between schools of thought, and how this affects their
impact. Looking at the micro and macro fields of management publications from
1956 to 2002 with an extensive dataset of 113,000+ articles from 41 top
journals, we explore the dynamics of knowledge positioning for management
scholars. We find that it is significantly beneficial for new knowledge to be a
part of a school of thought, and that within a school of thought new knowledge
has more impact if it is in the intellectual semi-periphery of the school.

Addresses: [Upham, S. Phineas; Rosenkopf, Lori] Univ Penn, Wharton Sch,
Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA; [Ungar, Lyle H.] Univ Penn, CIS Dept, Philadelphia,
PA 19104 USA
Reprint Address: Upham, SP, Univ Penn, Wharton Sch, Philadelphia, PA 19104
USA.
E-mail Address: uphams at wharton.upenn.edu; rosenkopf at wharton.upenn.edu;
ungar at cis.upenn.edu

ISSN: 0138-9130