Upham, SP; Rosenkopf, L; Ungar, LH. 2010. Innovating knowledge communities An analysis of group collaboration and competition in science and technology. SCIENTOMETRICS 83 (2): 525-554

Sat May 22 12:01:18 EDT 2010

Upham, SP; Rosenkopf, L; Ungar, LH. 2010. Innovating knowledge communities
An analysis of group collaboration and competition in science and technology.
SCIENTOMETRICS 83 (2): 525-554.

Author Full Name(s): Upham, S. Phineas; Rosenkopf, Lori; Ungar, Lyle H.
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Knowledge communities; Innovation; Dynamic clustering
KeyWords Plus: RESOURCE-BASED VIEW; COMBINED COCITATION; MARKET
ORIENTATION; CITATION PATTERNS; WORD ANALYSIS; SEARCH; NETWORKS;
BIOTECHNOLOGY; CONSTRUCTION; ISOMORPHISM

Abstract: A useful level of analysis for the study of innovation may be what we
call "knowledge communities''-intellectually cohesive, organic inter-
organizational forms. Formal organizations like firms are excellent at promoting
cooperation, but knowledge communities are superior at fostering collaboration-
the most important process in innovation. Rather than focusing on what
encourages performance in formal organizations, we study what characteristics
encourage aggregate superior performance in informal knowledge communities
in computer science. Specifically, we explore the way knowledge communities
both draw on past knowledge, as seen in citations, and use rhetoric, as found
in writing, to seek a basis for differential success. We find that when using
knowledge successful knowledge communities draw from a broad range of
sources and are extremely flexible in changing and adapting. In marked
contrast, when using rhetoric successful knowledge communities tend to use
very similar vocabularies and language that does not move or adapt over time
and is not unique or esoteric compared to the vocabulary of other communities.
A better understanding of how inter-organizational collaborative network
structures encourage innovation is important to understanding what drives
innovation and how to promote it.

Addresses: [Upham, S. Phineas; Rosenkopf, Lori] Univ Penn, Wharton Sch,
Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA; [Ungar, Lyle H.] Univ Penn, CIS Dept, Philadelphia,
PA 19104 USA
Reprint Address: Upham, SP, Univ Penn, Wharton Sch, Philadelphia, PA 19104
USA.
E-mail Address: uphams at wharton.upenn.edu; rosenkopf at wharton.upenn.edu;
ungar at cis.upenn.edu

ISSN: 0138-9130