[Thomson Reuters response to Larsen & von Ins (in press)]

Kevin Boyack kboyack at MAPOFSCIENCE.COM
Mon May 3 14:25:37 EDT 2010

Christina,

Regarding your questions below:

-          Up until 2007, when I was at Sandia, the AISTI group (a group of
national labs and some universities) licensed SCIE (and SSCI .) and hosted
it at LANL. I would presume that they have not since downgraded to SCI.

-          Yes, versioning makes a huge difference, and most authors in info
science/bibliometrics seem to know the difference, although some seem not
to.

-          And, the National Science Indicators uses NEITHER the SCI or
SCIE. It uses a hand-picked set of about 5000 journals from the ISI indexes
(curated historically by CHI - Fran Narin's shop - and now by iPiQ) that was
probably very similar to SCI back in the 1970s, and which is now probably
akin to an SCI++, but certainly containing far less than SCIE. So, the NSI
numbers are not easily compared to anything else out there. If anyone is
interested in the exact list of journals used by NSI, they can contact
Lawrence Burton at NSF.

Best regards,

Kevin