Caveats for the journal and field normalizations in the CWTS ("Leiden") evaluations of research performance

Linda Butler linda.butler at ANU.EDU.AU
Sat Mar 20 01:01:17 EDT 2010

Loet, Ludo

There is another reason why bibliometricians are starting to do
calculations at the individual level, which doesn't seem to have been
mentioned in any of the papers referred to in this discussion.

That reason is to make it easier to re-aggregate publication sets in
different ways.

Let me give a "live" example.  The Australian Research Council (ARC)
trialled a new assessment system late last year.  In physics,
chemistry and earth sciences (the only sciences assessed in the trial
- the other disciplines were all in the humanities and creative arts)
bibliometrics played a key role.  Several indicators were used, of
which one was Relative Citation Impact.  It was calculated by
determining the RCI for each individual paper, then computing an
average of RCIs to give an institutional RCI i.e. the method Loet is
championing and the one that Ludo reveals CWTS is now also working on.

In addition to statistical considerations, there was an additional
important advantage to the ARC in using this methodology.  The
Australian Government was only interested in assessing the
performance of fields within institutions - who had the strongest/
weakest geology, astronomy, organic chemistry, etc.  They were not
concerned about which academic units these publications came from.
But Vice-Chancellors and research managers were!  VERY interested!!
 From the very first discussions on the development of the
methodology (late 2007) it became clear that an essential
consideration was the ability of universities to re-aggregate data to
groups, faculties, research themes, or however they wanted to do.  I
am not necessarily supporting what they want to do - but they
undoubtedly want to do it.  An article by article methodology makes
this a simple computational task.

So the methodology has already being used in a national research
assessment system, and will be used again when all fields that are
subject to bibliometrics are assessed in the second half of this year.

Can I just add that I'm just a little uncomfortable that CWTS seems
to have been singled out for such pointed criticism.  It's not just a
"CWTS" methodology.  Many other groups have used or are using this
method, and not just because they copied CWTS - my own unit, REPP, is
a case in point.  Many of us arrived at the same point through our
own development work, and having arrived there, are now looking to
move on and improve the calculations.

It's an important issue, so let's keep the discussion going, but keep
it collegial.

regards
Linda Butler

On 20/03/2010, at 9:22 AM, Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

> web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Please, find below the CWTS indicators for four papers of which two
> are cited in the same journal i or the same field i:
>
> <Outlook.jpg>
> <Outlook.jpg>
> In our opinion, one should normalize as follows:
>
> <Outlook.jpg>
>
> The issue is more general than CWTS because other centers normalize
> using MOCR/MECR, that is: Mean Observed Citation Rates divided by
> Mean Expected Citation Rates. The quotient between two means is no
> longer a statistics, while the values of observed versus expected
> citation rates provide a variance (standard deviation, median, etc.).
> (For example, 3/2 plus 2/3 is very different from 5/5).
>
> We understand from the papers indicated that in the meantime CWTS
> is changing its procedures.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Loet
> ________________________________
>
> Loet Leydesdorff
> Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
> Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
> Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
> loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Linda Butler
linda.butler52 at gmail.com

landline: +61 (0)2 4982 7994