Caveats for the journal and field normalizations in the CWTS ("Leiden") evaluations of research performance

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Mar 19 18:22:36 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

Please, find below the CWTS indicators for four papers of which two are
cited in the same journal i or the same field i:

In our opinion, one should normalize as follows:

The issue is more general than CWTS because other centers normalize using
MOCR/MECR, that is: Mean Observed Citation Rates divided by Mean Expected
Citation Rates. The quotient between two means is no longer a statistics,
while the values of observed versus expected citation rates provide a
variance (standard deviation, median, etc.).
(For example, 3/2 plus 2/3 is very different from 5/5).

We understand from the papers indicated that in the meantime CWTS is
changing its procedures.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/