Neale, AV; Dailey, RK; Abrams, J. 2010. Analysis of Citations to Biomedical Articles Affected by Scientific Misconduct. SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ETHICS 16 (2): 251-261

Sat Aug 7 15:58:43 EDT 2010

Neale, AV; Dailey, RK; Abrams, J. 2010. Analysis of Citations to Biomedical
Articles Affected by Scientific Misconduct. SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ETHICS
16 (2): 251-261.

Author Full Name(s): Neale, Anne Victoria; Dailey, Rhonda K.; Abrams, Judith
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Bibliometric analysis; Journalology; Journal citations;
Quantitative content analysis; Retraction; Scientific misconduct
KeyWords Plus: RETRACTION; MISTAKES; MEDICINE; IMPACT

Abstract: We describe the ongoing citations to biomedical articles affected by
scientific misconduct, and characterize the papers that cite these affected
articles. The citations to 102 articles named in official findings of scientific
misconduct during the period of 1993 and 2001 were identified through the
Institute for Scientific Information Web of Science database. Using a stratified
random sampling strategy, we performed a content analysis of 603 of the 5,393
citing papers to identify indications of awareness that the cited articles
affected by scientific misconduct had validity issues, and to examine how the
citing papers referred to the affected articles. Fewer than 5% of citing papers
indicated any awareness that the cited article was retracted or named in a
finding of misconduct. We also tested the hypothesis that affected articles
would have fewer citations than a comparison sample; this was not supported.
Most articles affected by misconduct were published in basic science journals,
and we found little cause for concern that such articles may have affected
clinical equipoise or clinical care.

Addresses: [Neale, Anne Victoria; Dailey, Rhonda K.] Wayne State Univ, Sch
Med, Dept Family Med & Publ Hlth Sci, Detroit, MI 48201 USA; [Abrams, Judith]
Wayne State Univ, Sch Med, Integrated Biostat Unit, Detroit, MI 48201 USA

Reprint Address: Neale, AV, Wayne State Univ, Sch Med, Dept Family Med &
Publ Hlth Sci, 101 E Alexandrine,249, Detroit, MI 48201 USA.

E-mail Address: vneale at med.wayne.edu

ISSN: 1353-3452
DOI: 10.1007/s11948-009-9151-4
fulltext: http://www.springerlink.com/content/l8563242718084g7/