Mryglod, O (Mryglod, O.); Holovatch, Y (Holovatch, Yu.) Towards journalometrical analysis of a scientific periodical: a case study CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, 10 (2): 129-141 2007

Tue May 6 14:39:56 EDT 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: complex systems; complex networks; co-authorship network;
journal evaluation; human dynamics

Keywords Plus: COAUTHORSHIP NETWORKS; COMPLEX NETWORKS; HUMAN DYNAMICS;
COLLABORATION; PATTERNS

Abstract: In this paper we use several approaches to analyse a scientific
journal as a complex system and to make a possibly more complete
description of its current state and evolution. Methods of complex
networks theory, statistics, and queueing theory are used in this study.
As a subject of the analysis we have chosen the journal "Condensed Matter
Physics" (http://www.icmp.lviv.ua). In particular, based on the
statistical data regarding the papers published in this journal since its
foundation in 1993 up to now we have composed the co-authorship network
and extracted its main quantitative characteristics. Further, we analyse
the priorities of scientific trends reflected in the journal and its
impact on the publications in other editions (the citation ratings).
Moreover, to characterize an efficiency of the paper processing, we study
the time dynamics of editorial processing in terms of queueing theory and
human activity analysis.

Addresses: Lviv Polytech Natl Univ, UA-79013 Lvov, Ukraine; Natl Acad Sci
Ukraine, Inst Condensed Matter Phys, UA-79011 Lvov, Ukraine; Johannes
Kepler Univ Linz, Inst Theoret Phys, A-4040 Linz, Austria
Reprint Address: Mryglod, O, Lviv Polytech Natl Univ, 12 Bandery Str, UA-
79013 Lvov, Ukraine.

Cited Reference Count: 19

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: INST CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS NATL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES UKRAINE

Publisher Address: 1 SVIENTSITSKII STR, LVIV, 79011, UKRAINE

ISSN: 1607-324X

29-char Source Abbrev.: CONDENS MATTER PHYS

ISO Source Abbrev.: Condens. Matter Phys.

Source Item Page Count: 13

Subject Category: Physics, Condensed Matter

ISI Document Delivery No.: 188WM

ALBERT R
Statistical mechanics of complex networks
REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS 74 : 47 2002

BARABASI AL
The origin of bursts and heavy tails in human dynamics
NATURE 435 : 207 DOI 10.1038/nature03459 2005

CARDILLO A
A topological analysis of scientific coauthorship networks
PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS 372 : 333 DOI
10.1016/j.physa.2006.08.059 2006

DOROGOVTSEV SN
Evolution of networks
ADVANCES IN PHYSICS 51 : 1079 DOI 10.1080/00018730110112519 2002

DOROGOVTSEV SN
EVOLUTION NETWORKS B : 2003

GARFIELD E
CURRENT CONTENT 0528 : 5 1990

HOLOVATCH Y
IN PRESS J PHYS STUD 10 : 2006

JEANNIN P
TOWARDS A DEMOGRAPHIC APPROACH TO SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
SCIENTOMETRICS 30 : 83 1994

JOHANSEN A
Probing human response times
PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS 338 : 286 DOI
10.1016/j.physa.2004.02.054 2004

LEHMANN S
THESIS N BOHR I : 2003

MAKINEN VP
HIMMELI GRAPH DRAWIN :

MRYGOLD O
UNPUB MECO32 POL LAD : 2007

NEWMAN MEJ
Coauthorship networks and patterns of scientific collaboration
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5200 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0307545100 2004

NEWMAN MEJ
The structure of scientific collaboration networks
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 98 : 404 2001

NEWMAN MEJ
The structure and function of complex networks
SIAM REVIEW 45 : 167 2003

OLIVEIRA JG
Human dynamics: Darwin and Einstein correspondence patterns
NATURE 437 : 1251 DOI 10.1038/4371251a 2005

STOUFFER DB
ARXIVPHYSICS0605027 : 2006

VAZQUEZ A
Modeling bursts and heavy tails in human dynamics
PHYSICAL REVIEW E 73 : ARTN 036127 2006

VLADO A
PAJEK PROGRAM LARGE :