Klavans, R; Boyack, KW, Is there a convergent structure of science? A comparison of maps using the ISI and scopus databases (Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL. CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.437-448

Mon Jan 14 15:44:15 EST 2008

Email address: rklavans at mapofscience.com

Author(s): Klavans, R (Klavans, Richard); Boyack, KW (Boyack, Kevin W.)

Title: Is there a convergent structure of science? A comparison of maps
using the ISI and scopus databases

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
437-448, 2007

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: map of science; journal coverage; ISI-Scopus comparison;
co-citation analysis

KeyWords Plus: MAPPING SCIENCE

Abstract: This article compares two maps of science that are built from
different, but highly representative sets of the world-wide scientific
literature. The analysis in this article extends existing work in this
area in three major ways First, we provide quantitative comparisons of the
ISI and Scopus databases for 15 areas of science. Second, we illustrate
how these differences have an impact on the resultant map of science.
Third, we argue that these differences do not affect the fundamental shape
and structure of science; the differences create local differentiation and
improve our understanding of local relationships. We conclude with a
discussion about the value of generating a convergent map of science.

Addresses: SciTech Strategies Inc, Berwyn, PA 19312 USA.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 13

BATAGELJ V
CONNECTIONS 21 : 47 1998

 BOYACK KW
11 INT C INT SOC SCI : 2007

 BOYACK KW
Using detailed maps of science to identify potential collaboration
SCIENTOMETRICS 64 : 351 2005

 CHEN CM
CiteSpace II: Detecting and visualizing emerging trends and transient
patterns
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 57 : 359 2006

 DAVIDSON GS
P IEEE INF VIS 2001 : 23 2001

 GLANZEL W
Proceedings literature as additional data source for bibliometric analysis
SCIENTOMETRICS 68 : 457 2006

 GRIFFITH BC
Structure of scientific literatures. 2. Toward a macrostructure and
microstructure for science
SCI STUD 4 : 339 1974

 JACSO P
As we may search - Comparison of major features of the Web of Science,
Scopus, and Google Scholar citation-based and citation-enhanced databases.
CURR SCI INDIA 89 : 1537 2005

 JONES WP
Pictures of relevance: A geometric analysis of similarity measures.
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 38 : 420 1987

 KLAVANS R
Identifying a better measure of relatedness for mapping science.
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 57 : 251 2006

 KLAVANS R
Quantitative evaluation of large maps of science
SCIENTOMETRICS 68 : 475 2006

 MOYAANEGON F
A new technique for building maps of large scientific domains based on the
cocitation of classes and categories
SCIENTOMETRICS 61 : 129 2004

 SMALL H
Clustering the Science Citation Index using co-citations. II. Mapping
Science
SCIENTOMETRICS 8 : 321 1985