Jin, B; Rousseau, R; Suttmeier, RP; Cao, C. The role of ethnic ties in international collaboration: The overseas chinese phenomenon (Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL. CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.427-436

Mon Jan 14 14:27:40 EST 2008

Author(s): Jin, B (Jin, Bihui); Rousseau, R (Rousseau, Ronald); Suttmeier,
RP (Suttmeier, Richard P.); Cao, C (Cao, Cong)

Title: The role of ethnic ties in international collaboration: The
overseas chinese phenomenon

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
427-436, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: international collaboration; overseas chinese scholars;
ethnic ties; government policy; ethnic collaboration index (ECI);
knowledge transfer

KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION; SCIENCE

Abstract: The term 'Overseas Chinese Phenomenon' is used here to refer to
the fact that scientists of Chinese descent play an important role in
international collaboration between mainland China and the rest of the
world. In this paper, we review international collaboration between ethnic
Chinese scientists in eight countries - USA, England, Germany, France,
Japan, Canada, Australia, and South Korea - and colleagues in China
itself. Our analysis shows that while ethnic ties play an important role
as a bridge between China and the country of residence, policies of the
Chinese government with respect to international collaboration and
overseas Chinese reinforce the growth of ethnically based co-authorship.

Addresses: Chinese Acad Sci, Natl Sci Lib, Beijing, 100080 Peoples R
China.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 15

*BUR COMPR PLANN C
STAT YB CHIN AC SCI : 2004

 *US NSF
DIV SCI RES STAT SCI
 BASSECOULARD E
P 9 INT C SC INF : 2003

 BEAVER DD
Reflections on scientific collaboration, (and its study): past, present,
and future
SCIENTOMETRICS 52 : 365 2001

 JIN B
HDB QUANTITATIVE SCI : 497 2004

 JIN BH
IN PRESS SCI FOCUS : 2007

 JIN BH
P ISSI 2005 : 362 2005

 KATZ JS
Geographical proximity and scientific collaboration.
SCIENTOMETRICS 31 : 31 1994

 MCPHERSON M
Birds of a feather: homophily in social networks.
ANNU REV SOCIOL 27 : 415 2001

 WAGNER CS
MR13570WB : R14 2001

 WAGNER CS
Network structure, self-organization and the growth of international
collaboration in science.
RES POLICY 34 : 1608 2005

 WAGNER CS
SCIDEN NET SCI DEV N : 2005

 WEBSTER BM
Bibliometric analysis of presence and impact of ethnic minority
researchers on science in the UK
RESEARCH EVALUATION 13 : 69 2004

 XIANG B
PROMOTING KNOWLEDGE : 2005

 ZITT M
Shadows of the past in international collaboration: collaboration profiles
of the top five producers of science.
SCIENTOMETRICS 47 : 627 2000