Janssens, F; Glanzel, W; De Moor, B. A hybrid mapping of information science,PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL. CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.408-420

Mon Jan 14 12:46:14 EST 2008

Email address: Frizo.Janssens at esat.kuleuven.be

Author(s): Janssens, F (Janssens, Frizo); Glanzel, W (Glaenzel, Wolfgang);
De Moor, B (De Moor, Bart)

Title: A hybrid mapping of information science

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
408-420, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007
Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: mapping of science; hybrid clustering; text mining;
fisher's inverse chi-square method; information science

KeyWords Plus: RESEARCH-AND-DEVELOPMENT; SCIENTIFIC PAPERS; WEB;
INDICATORS

Abstract: Previous studies have shown that hybrid clustering methods that
incorporate textual content and bibliometric information can outperform
clustering methods that use only one of these components. In this paper we
apply a hybrid clustering method based on Fisher's inverse chi-square to
integrate full-text with citations and to provide a mapping of the field
of information science. We quantitatively and qualitatively asses the
added value of such an integrated analysis and we investigate whether the
clustering outcome is a better representation of the field by comparing
with a text-only clustering and with another hybrid method based on linear
combination of distance matrices. Our dataset consists of almost 1000
articles and notes published in the period 2002-2004 in 5 representative
journals. The optimal number of clusters for the field is 5, determined by
using a combination of distance-based and stability-based methods. Term
networks present the cognitive structure of the field and are complemented
by the most representative publications. Three large traditional sub-
disciplines, particularly, information retrieval,
bibliometrics/scientometrics and more social aspects, and two smaller
clusters about patent analysis and webometrics, can be distinguished.

Addresses: Katholieke Univ Leuven, Dept Elect Engn ESAT SCD, Louvain, B-
3001 Belgium.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 32

ALAVI M
Knowledge integration in virtual teams: The potential role of KMS.
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 53 : 1029 2002

 BAEZEYATES R
MODERN INFORM RETRIV : 1999

 BATAGELJ V
Pajek - Analysis and visualization of large networks
GRAPH DRAWING 2265 : 477 2002

 BENHUR A
PAC S BIOC 7 : 6 2002

 BERRY MW
Using linear algebra for intelligent information retrieval
SIAM REV 37 : 573 1995

 BRAAM RR
Mapping of Science by Combined Cocitation and Word Analysis
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 42 : 252 1991

 CALADO P
Local versus global link information in the Web.
ACM T INFORM SYST 21 : 42 2003

 CALADO P
Link-based similarity measures for the classification of Web documents.
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 57 : 208 2006

 DEERWESTER S
Indexing by latent semantic analysis
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 41 : 391 1990

 DING Y
Ontology research and development. Part 1 - a review of ontology generation
J INFORM SCI 28 : 123 2002

 DING Y
Ontology research and development. Part 2 - a review of ontology mapping
and evolving
J INFORM SCI 28 : 375 2002

 DUNNING T
COMPUTATIONAL LINGUI 19 : 61 1993

 FABAPEREZ C
"Sitation" distributions and Bradford's law in a closed web space.
J DOC 59 : 558 2003

 GLENISSON P
Combining full text and bibliometric information in mapping scientific
disciplines
INFORM PROCESS MANAG 41 : 1548 2005

 HATCHER E
LUCENE ACTION : 2004

 HEDGES LV
STAT METHODS META AN : 1985

 JAIN A
ALGORITHMS CLUSTERIN : 1988

 JANSSENS F
Towards mapping library and information science.
INFORM PROCESS MANAG 42 : 1614 2006

 JANSSENS F
P 1 INT C MULT INF S : 615 2006

 JOACHIMS T
P ICML 01 18 INT C M : 250 2001

 KAUFMAN L
FINDING GROUPS DATA : 1990

 KESSLER MM
Bibliographic coupling between scientific papers.
AM DOC 14 : 10 1963

 LEYDESDORFF L
Indicators of structural change in the dynamics of science: Entropy
statistics of the SCI Journal Citation Reports
SCIENTOMETRICS 53 : 131 2002

 MODHA DS
ACM C HYP : 143 2000

 MULLINS N
STRUCTURAL ANAL SCI : 81 1988

 NIE JY
Query expansion and query translation as logical inference.
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 54 : 335 2003

 PORTER MF
An algorithm for suffix stripping.
PROGRAM 14 : 130 1980

 ROUSSEEUW PJ
Silhouettes: A graphical aid to the interpretation and validation of
cluster analysis.
J COMPUT APPL MATH 20 : 53 1987

 SALTON G
INTRO MODERN INFORM : 1986

 SNIZEK WE
Textual and nontextual characteristics of scientific papers: Neglected
science indicators.
SCIENTOMETRICS 20 : 25 1991

VANDENBESSELAAR P
Empirical evidence of self-organization?
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 54 : 87 2003

 WANG Y
P 11 INT C INF KNOWL : 499 2002