JCR Total Cites Flaw Example

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Sat Feb 23 14:33:58 EST 2008

Loet,
Thanks for the information on the difference between the CD ROM version and Web version of the JCRs.  When I return to work Monday, I will check whether LSU has the CD-ROM version.  However, in 2004 we switched from the CD-ROM to the Web version, I thought this a big improvement as I had desktop delivery.  LSU will not fork out for both versions, if it requires another subscription.  However, it is surprising that Thomson would do such a thing--making a backward technology have more information than an advanced technology.  LSU is trying to create a virtual library because the faculty do not want to come to a library in another building.  They want desktop delivery, and so do I.  Paper is out of the question, as a key physics journal grows at 15-20 linear feet per year, and we are out of physical capacity. If the CD-ROM version can do this, then it should be simple for them to make it a feature of the Web version.

This is also a crucial issue for you, because the citing/cited, half-life etc. packages are all based on total cites.  It means that if you cannot define your bibliographic entities properly, all your pretty pictures may not be true reflections of reality.

SB

________________________________

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics on behalf of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: Sat 2/23/2008 10:14 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] JCR Total Cites Flaw Example

Dear Stephen,

Using the CD-Rom version of the JCR, one can retrieve 1803 total cites for "Anim Learn Behav" in 2006. However, in the webversion this number is no longer available (because of the two-year time windown for the impact factor).

The WoS version of the database itself (SCI) I get 799 hits for "Anim Learn Behav" as cited reference work, but one would have to add the numbers in the column "citing articles" to find the number of "total cites." That is a lot of work.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/ <http://www.leydesdorff.net/>