preprint version "Globalisation in science in 2005"

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Mar 6 01:35:48 EST 2007

Dear David,

Perhaps, it helps to use an engineering metaphor more than an evolutionary
one.

The transaction requires a communication channel. If one has more than a
single transaction, one may need a set of communication channels. These
channels can be placed in parallel or serial. The sumtotal of channels
generates a network. The network can be represented as a matrix: the
transactions are then the vectors of the matrix. The matrix contains a
structure. Structure is deterministic.

For example, this email list can be considered as a communication system. It
provides a network. The transactions do not constitute the network because
the network remains even if people are silent. (Networks can also be empty.)
The structure of the network determines first who can participate in the
communication and then at the social level the communication is coded by
expectations so that one can expect relevant communication. Perhaps, some of
us will consider this communication as disturbance; let's say variation.

The code of the communication helps to stabilize the communication. This is
the Sigmetrics list of ASIST. When the code is symbolically generalized, we
no longer need this specific network for the communication because the
channels would adapt to the code. This is the case at the field level. For
example, we can publish in the twenty or so journals of our field and reach
approximately the same audience of information scientists.

The communication system "lives from" the transactions. Without transactions
it would not be reproduced. The transactions are substantial, but it does
not matter so much for the system, how the transactions vary. The system is
stablized against variation if the communication is specifically codified.
Stabilization is local; globalization can then be considered as a kind of
hyper-stabilization.

With best wishes,

Loet
  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics

  _____