preprint version "Globalisation in science in 2005"

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Mon Mar 5 17:29:39 EST 2007

For my own learning process, let me try to respond to your original
questions, and then maybe the more experienced on the list can correct
me.
>My first question is, does every initial transaction between two
people, no matter how slight, establish a link in the network? The
alternative might be that certain thresholds of interaction must apply,
such as co-authorship or citation. My second question is, do you think
that the strength of a link might usefully be measured by the amount of
information that passes between the people linked?

Network analysis works on relationships as the basic unit (not
attributes, for example).  How these relationships are
defined/determined depends on what makes sense for the system being
studied.  We can look at co-authorship, co-citation, co-membership (in
an organization) or a 2-mode thing like co-attendees of an event...  So
we might look at co-authorship of only peer reviewed journal articles
that are in journals indexed by ISI -- which sets the bar fairly high.
For things like co-authorship, the relationship is non-directional but
can be valued.  It can have different weights for the number of times
the authors appear together if that makes sense to the phenomenon you
are studying.  Many times, it makes more sense to just have 1s and 0s --
link or no link.  As for amount of information, one of the problems in
network analysis is obtaining the data.  Can you interview everyone
involved?  How much information can you obtain about the actors?  Can
that information be easily made into a matrix for mathematical
operations?  I think there's the pragmatic aspect of what is do-able as
well as the science aspect of what you want to look at.

The standard book on SNA is Faust and Wasserman and there have been
several relevant chapters in ARIST on citation analysis, but you might
do best by reading Dr. Leydesdorff's books and web page.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore)
Fax 443.778.5353