Maier G (Maier, Gunther) "Impact factors and peer judgment: The case of regional science journals " SCIENTOMETRICS 69 (3): 651-667 DEC 2006

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Sat Jan 13 08:17:50 EST 2007

For whatever they are worth, below are comments I wrote Gunther in a letter
I sent him after reading his article:

Gunther,
I read your ariticle.  In general, I was not surprised by your finding of
no relationship of the impact factor to the importance of journals as rated
by European regional scientists, but I was very surprised by the extreme
lowness and insignificance of the correlations.  That said, I have some
quibbles with your paper and its findings.

First, I think that you have overstated Garfield's view of the impact
factor as a measure of journal significance.  In general, he considered
total citations a better holistic measure of journal significance, and he
used the impact factor to identify to certain facets of journal
significance not identified by total citations due to size.  Gafield never
considered the impact factor a precise measure but thought it one riddled
by error and accurate to only one decimal place instead of the three
published by ISI to avoid too many ties in ranks.  In using impact factor
as a holistic measure of significance, he did not use anything precise as
the Pearson correletation but merely bifurcated his journal sample between
the few journals very high in the impact factor and the rest.  At this
crude level of measurement the impact factor does identify signicant
journals.

Seaond, I am somewhat suspicious of your use of the Pearson r, which
requires a bivarate normal distribution.  Your impact factor data and
perhaps your rating data may have required the logarithmic transformatimn,
and I did not read that you tested your data for the underlying probability
distributions.

Third, since Garfield regarded total citations as the better holistic
measure of journal value, I think that you should have tested this measure
against your regional scientist ratings.  I think that you would have found
higher correlations.  You are making the common mistake of treating the
impact factor as a holistic measure, when in theory and fact it is not.

Having stated this, I would interpret your low correlations as due to the
following reasons.  First, human ratings of importance are positively
influenced by size, and the impact factor is specifically designed to
control for size.  You should have tested your regional scientist ratings
against the total citations in the JCR.  Second, your regional scientist
ratings are European, and ISI citation data are heavily dominated by the US
scientific social stratification system.  Your sets need to be better
defined from this perspective, and you should have used outlier analysis
for this purpose.  And, third, regional science--like most social
sciences--is a very fuzzy discipline, and your data are probably plagued by
exogenous citations, requiring more precise subject set definition.  You
should have also used outlier analysis for this purpose.  You did discuss
the latter two reasons, but you require more analysis, including total
citations analysis to capture the size in your regional scientists ratings.

etc. etc.

SB

Eugene Garfield <garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on
01/12/2007 01:22:18 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>