Contagion modeling of new ideas by OSTI

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sat Jan 6 11:13:17 EST 2007

Colleagues,

OSTI has begun a new research program that includes contagion
modeling of new ideas, based on literature analysis. Our initial
results are here:
http://www.osti.gov/innovation/research/diffusion/#casestudies

The biggest result is that doubling the contact rate dramatically
speeds up the speed of knowledge diffusion. This is of interest to
us, because OSTI is in the business of putting scientists in contact
with one another.

The main report is here:
"Population Modeling of the Emergence and Development of Scientific Fields"
http://www.osti.gov/innovation/research/diffusion/epicasediscussion_lb2.pdf
Note that Eugene Garfield is cited, as he called for this kind of
research 27 years ago!

There are several other discussion papers on the site, which we
expect to expand as time goes on.
http://www.osti.gov/innovation/research/

OSTI is the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, in the
Office of Science of the Department of Energy. The Office of Science
funds basic research in the physical sciences, at about $4 billion a
year. OSTI started out as a repository for research reports but has
become a leader in web-based, research collection and dissemination
for the US government. http://www.osti.gov

See also http://www.science.gov which federates 35 databases across
the US government.
We hope to launch Science.world in the near future, working with
other governments.

Comments or questions are most welcome.

David
dwojick at hughes.net

--

"David E. Wojick, Ph.D." <WojickD at osti.gov>
Senior Consultant -- The DOE Science Accelerator

(540) 858-3136
391 Flickertail Lane, Star Tannery, VA 22654 USA
http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/resume.html provides my bio and
client list.
http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/Mathematics_Philosophy_Science/
presents some of my own research on information structure and
dynamics.