question

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Thu Feb 1 09:36:25 EST 2007

Beautiful, but I was not "pleading" for examination for an exogenous
subject variable but "suggesting" it.  I myself never do a correlation or
regression analysis without first scatter plotting the data and then
examining the outliers.  It is in the outliers and residuals that the
essence of the data is to be found.  I think that Ali adopted the right
approach with the chi-squared test of independence, given the highly skewed
data within a restricted range.  It is now just a matter of classifying the
articles into subject subsets and examining the composition of his cells in
these terms to see whether there is in fact a subject variable in action.
A dollar to your donut that he will find that there is one, given the
strength of the relationship that he found.  The relationship of number of
references to number of citations is too strong to be an random event, and
there either has to be a functional explanation like review vs. research
articles or some subject variable in operation.  I can see no logical
reason for number of references generating number of citations.  If the
latter is the case, then we can all become famous by gang-footnoting.  Soon
editors would not only be resticting the number of pages but also the
number of references.

SB

"Quentin L. Burrell" <quentinburrell at MANX.NET>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on
01/31/2007 02:40:02 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>