A global perspective on the world science system (updated for 2006)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Thu Feb 1 04:53:37 EST 2007

Yes, David, I agree. That is why we put the quotation mark; and our answer
is "no". Despite Congressional thinking. :-)

Best wishes,  Loet

  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of David E. Wojick
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:23 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] A global perspective on the world science system
(updated for 2006)

"losing ground" here. China has transitioned from being a poor country to
being a mid-level one in terms of wealth. It is a global manufacturing
center. This is wonderful news. In the process it now has, as I understand,
about 800,000 research workers. This is second only to the US with 1.2
million.

Suppose the publication rates are proportional to the research populations,
and China's is growing rapidly along with its economy. How then is the US
losing ground? China's gain is not my loss. This is important because this
fallacy, if it is one, pervades Congressional thinking today.

David