Chen, CM; Song, IY; Zhu, WZ, Trends in conceptual modeling: Citation analysis of the ER conference papers (1979-2005) (Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.189-200

Fri Dec 21 10:11:31 EST 2007

Email: chaomei.chen at cis.drexel.edu

Author(s): Chen, CM (Chen, Chaomei); Song, IY (Song, Il-Yeol); Zhu, WZ
(Zhu, Weizhong)

Title: Trends in conceptual modeling: Citation analysis of the ER
conference papers (1979-2005)

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
189-200, 2007

Cited Reference Count: 10

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: progressive knowledge domain visualization; CiteSpace

Abstract: We analyze thematic trends and challenging issues in conceptual
modeling based on the metadata of 943 research papers published in a
series of conferences on conceptual modeling (known as the ER conferences)
between 1979 and 2005. We specifically address 1) all-time prominent
challenges in conceptual modeling, 2) current challenges and emerging
trends, and 3) the structure and dynamics of the conceptual modeling
community. We utilize CiteSpace, a progressive domain visualization tool,
to identify and visualize the movement of research fronts and intellectual
bases, persistent clusters of papers, critical paths connecting these
clusters, and the evolution of co-authorship networks as well as citation
networks. The work contributes an in-depth analysis of a major forum of
conceptual modeling and a practical method that one can use as frequently
as needed to keep abreast of the state of the art of conceptual modelling.

Addresses: Drexel Univ, Coll Informat Sci & Technol, Philadelphia, PA
19104 USA.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited References:

 CHEN CM
CiteSpace II: Detecting and visualizing emerging trends and transient
patterns in scientific literature
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 57 : 359 2006

 CHEN CM
Searching for intellectual turning points: Progressive knowledge domain
visualization
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5303 2004

 CHEN PPS
The Entity-Relationship Model: Toward a Unified View of Data
ACM T DATABASE SYST 1 : 9 1976

 EMBLEY DW
 Synergistic Database Design with an Extended Entity Relationship Model
P 8 INT C ENT REL AP : 1989

 FREEMAN LC
Centrality in social networks: Conceptual Clarification
SOC NETWORKS 1 : 215 1979

 GREGERSEN H
Temporal entity-relationship models - A survey
IEEE T KNOWL DATA EN 11 : 464 1999

 SCHVANEVELDT RW
PATHFINDER ASS NETWO : 1990

 TEOREY TJ
A Logical Design Methodology for Relational Databases Using the Ex-tended
Entity-Relationship Model
ACM COMPUT SURV 18 : 197 1986

 THALHEIM B
ENTITY RELATIONSHIP : 2000