Campiteli, MG; et al, A research productivity index to account for different scientific disciplines PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.184-188

Fri Dec 21 10:10:45 EST 2007

Email: mocampiteli at gmail.com

Author(s): Campiteli, MG (Campiteli, Monica G.); Batista, PD (Batista,
Pablo D.); Martinez, AS (Martinez, Alexandre S.)

Title: A research productivity index to account for different scientific
disciplines

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
184-188, 2007

Cited Reference Count: 6

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: scientometrics; h-index; co-authorship

Abstract: number h of papers with at least h citations has been proposed
to evaluate individual's scientific research production. This index is
robust in several ways but yet strongly dependent on the research field.
We propose a complementary index h(1) = h(2)/N-a((T)), with N-a((T)) being
the total number of authors in the considered h papers. A researcher with
index h(1) has h(1) papers with at least h(1) citation if he/she had
published alone. We have obtained the rank plots of h and h(1) for seven
German scientific communities. Contrasting to the h-index curve, the h(1)
index present a perfect data collapse into a unique curve allowing
comparison among different research areas.
Addresses: Univ Sao Paulo, Fac Filosofia Ciencias & Letras Ribeirao Preto,
Ribeirao Preto, SP BR-14040901 Brazil.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited References:

BATISTA PD
Is it possible to compare researchers with different scientific interests?
SCIENTOMETRICS 68 : 179 2006

 GLANZEL W
Does co-authorship inflate the share of self-citations?
SCIENTOMETRICS 61 : 395 2004

 HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 16569 2005

 LAHERRERE J
Stretched exponential distributions in nature and economy: "fat tails"
with characteristic scales
EUR PHYS J B 2 : 525 1998

 LEHMANN S
Citation networks in high energy physics
PHYS REV E 2 6802 : 6113 2003

 POPOV SB
A parameter to quantify dynamics of a researcher's scientific activity
SCIENCE 309 : 4 2005