accuracy of Thomson data

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Dec 21 02:04:59 EST 2007

Dear Stephen and colleagues,

These (Spearman) correlations teach us, in my opinion, that the measures
covary across disciplines at the aggregate level. Since impact factors are
higher in the biomedical sciences, library usages and expert ratings would
be expected to be higher in these sciences as well?

I would expect the c/p ratio, the impact factor, and the immediacy factor to
correlate highly as one group, but total publication, total citations,
library usage, expert ratings, etc., as a second group (size related).

As you know, my preference goes in the direction of mapping local citation
impact environments.  These can be visualized using, for example, the files
at http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr06 . (See: Visualization of the Citation
Impact Environments of Scientific Journals: An online mapping exercise,
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology
58(1), 25-38, 2007.) The normalization in terms of the vector space (cosine)
takes care of the size effects in the relations (links), and size can be
considered as an attribute of the nodes.

I have no better operationalization at the moment, but I am open for
suggestions.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/