accuracy of Thomson data

Jean-Claude Guédon jean.claude.guedon at UMONTREAL.CA
Thu Dec 20 12:00:44 EST 2007

All this discussion leads to an interesting question:

Routinely - in a recent (and very useful) paper ("Caveats for the Use of
Citation Indicators...", Loet Leydesdorff uses the expression
"codification process" - impact factors are given with three decimals.
When I used to study chemistry, eons ago, my teachers used to tell us
that measurements provided as is with no estimate measurement errors
were simply meaningless. Do citation measurements escape this
fundamental rule? I think not, especially when I see three or four
significant figures being produced without anyone batting a single
eyelash...

When I see journal editors battling to get past their nearest competitor
at the level of the third or fourth significant figures when we all know
that these are the artifacts of calculations, not reflections of
reality, I cannot help smile; or sigh, for such a treatment of figures
intensifies the role of the impact factor as an arbiter of journal
competition, which is very good for Thompson Scientific's business, but
not much else. Perhaps some people at Scopus, etc. could produce a good
statistical study of this phenomenon... :-)

Imagine documenting the fact that impact factors are known ±30% ...

Has anyone ever tried to put a general error figure on impact (and
impact factors) measurements?

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon