A mathematical theory of citing, Simkin, MV; Roychowdhury, VP, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 58 (11). SEP 2007. p.1661-1673

Quentin L. Burrell quentinburrell at MANX.NET
Thu Dec 6 15:47:47 EST 2007

The original work was flawed in that there were elementary, yet crucial,
arithmetic mistakes that led the authors to conclude that copying was the
only explanation. It was most certainly not.

Their subsequent work has been less dogmatic, not claiming the result to
have been proved or even demonstrated, merely that their model is consistent
with observed results. In the JASIST paper they even concede - somewhat
begrudgingly! - that there are other approaches.

It is "a model" not "the model".

Quentin

Dr Quentin L Burrell
Isle of Man International Business School
The Nunnery
Old Castletown Road
Douglas
Isle of Man IM2 1QB