Are there citation analyses that distinguish different types of citation?

William Newman wmn at POBOX.COM
Tue Sep 30 13:36:41 EDT 2003

Hello:

I'm writing a paper about citations of research in Human Computer
Interaction (HCI).  The citations in question are made by software
product designers who have published design case studies.

I'm finding I need to distinguish between different types of citation
by software designers, particularly the following:

1.  Positive, i.e., use was made of the work: "We designed our software
… in a way similar to OSPV [6]."

2.  Neutral, i.e., the work is relevant but wasn't used: "Projects such
as OSPV [21] have shown that …"

3.  Defensive (or negative) i.e. the work was considered inadequate in
some way and therefore not used: "OSPV is an online community …However,
it focuses on kids sharing with other kids, rather than…"

I would be very interested to learn of citation analyses etc. that have
drawn this kind (or any kind) of distinction between ways in which
cited work is treated.  I am not an expert in this field -- I work in
the field of HCI.

Many thanks

William
William Newman                                                +44 1223
308977
36 George Street
wmn at pobox.com
Cambridge CB4 1AJ, UK       http://www.mdnstudio.com/wmn/