Griggs RA, Proctor DL. "A citation analysis of who's who in introductory textbooks" Teaching of Psychology 29(3):203-206 Sum 2002

Wed Dec 3 15:33:58 EST 2003

Richard A. Griggs : rgriggs at ufl.edu

TITLE    A citation analysis of who's who in introductory textbooks
AUTHOR   Griggs RA, Proctor DL
JOURNAL  TEACHING OF PSYCHOLOGY  29 (3): 203-206 SUM 2002

 Document type: Article
 Language: English
 Cited References: 27
 Times Cited: 1

Abstract:
Given the many changes in the introductory psychology textbook market in the
past 2 decades and the lack of a recent citation study of introductory
texts, we conducted a citation analysis of a stratified random sample of
current texts. To provide a more comprehensive picture of current citation
emphases, we extended our analysis to the top 60 authors. As expected,
historically prominent psychologists dominated the top 15, with Freud cited
most often. We also found that the citation patterns reflected recent
changes in the prominence of various schools of scientific psychology with
cognitive psychology well represented. We discuss the role of these data in
students' perceptions of psychology and in helping introductory teachers to
make course content choices.

KeyWords Plus:
PSYCHOLOGY

Addresses:
Griggs RA, Univ Florida, Dept Psychol, POB 112250, Gainesville, FL 32611 USA
Univ Florida, Dept Psychol, Gainesville, FL 32611 USA
Andrews Univ, Berrien Springs, MI 49104 USA

Publisher:
LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOC INC, 10 INDUSTRIAL AVE, MAHWAH, NJ 07430-2262 USA

IDS Number:
575JQ

ISSN:
0098-6283

 Cited Author            Cited Work                Volume      Page   Year
     ID

 ATKINSON RL           HILGARDS INTRO PSYCH                            2000
 BERNSTEIN DA          PSYCHOLOGY                                      2000
 FREBERG LA            TEACHING INTRO PSYCH                            1999
 GRAY P                PSYCHOLOGY                                      1999
 GRIGGS RA             TEACH PSYCHOL                 26       182      1999
 HUFFMAN K             PSYCHOL ACTION                                  2000
 JACKSON SL            COMPENDIUM INTRO PSY                            2000
 KAESS WA              AM PSYCHOL                     9       144      1954
 KNAPP TJ              TEACH PSYCHOL                 12        15      1985
 MATLIN MW             PSYCHOLOGY                                      1999
 MILLER B              TEACH PSYCHOL                 25        89      1998
 MORRIS CG             PSYCHOLOGY INTRO                                1999
 MYERS DG              PSYCHOLOGY                                      2001
 PERLMAN B             TEACH PSYCHOL                 26       177      1999
 PERLMAN D             AM PSYCHOL                    35       104      1980
 PETTIJOHN TF          PSYCHOL CONNECTEXT                              1998
 ROBINS RW             AM PSYCHOL                    54       117      1999
 ROECKELEIN JE         AM PSYCHOL                    27       657      1972
 STANOVICH KE          THINK STRAIGHT PSYCH                            2001
 TAYLOR SE             HLTH PSYCHOL                                    1998
 TAYLOR SE             POSITIVE ILLUSIONS                              1989
 UBA L                 PSYCHOLOGY                                      1999
 WEBB WB               TEACH PSYCHOL                 18        33      1991
 WEITEN W              TEACHING PSYCHOL AM                    453      1992
 WESTEN D              PSYCHOL BULL                 124       333      1998
 WESTEN D              PSYCHOLOGY MIND BRAI                            1999
 WOOD SE               WORLD PSYCHOL                                   1999

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
3535 Market St., Phila. PA 19104-3389
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
3501 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3302
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T) www.asis.org