Structured abstracts

Peter Jacso jacso at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Apr 1 14:57:00 EST 2003

Yes, Jim, I am the one. I have not done much lately, except looking at
some software which create abstracts from the text you throw at them -
with surprisingly good results and flexibility (creating summaries in
proportion to the length of the original text, or set by the user, etc.).
I have spent msot of my time lately in developing what I call PolySearch
Engines. I just posted today one for Biographies (go to
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jacso/extra/
This may not be of interest to you, but I am using the technology (not
publicly though) to find abstracts for the same articles to show to my
students the eneormous differnces between say the ususally excellenet
Wilson abstracts as opposed to the poor abstracts in the PASCAL database.
On second thought, I do discuss the quality of abstract in my book about
the evaluation of the quality of textual databases and show a number of
examples in that chapter.
thanks
best
peter