Personal Citation Index

Judit Bar Ilan judit at CC.HUJI.AC.IL
Wed Nov 28 07:29:29 EST 2001

Ronald Rousseau's numbers are not based on anecdotal evidence only.
Although I was not looking for personal citations, I conducted a rather
exhaustive search for "informetrics" in 1998.
(The results are published in JASIS, 51(5) - The Web as an information
source on informetrics? A content analysis).

 From the collected pages I extracted 259 distinct references (to journal
papers, papers in proceedings and to presentations in conferences). Since
most of the references in the Web appeared without abstract (or full text),
for 229 references, the term "informetrics" either appeared in the title
(75) or in the name of the publication (154).

These references were compared to data retrieved from commercial
bibliographic databases: the largest number of items with informetrics in
the title was retrieved from LISA (46 vs 76), and the largest number of
items retrieved with informetrics in the name of the publication was
retrieved from OCLC's PaperFirst Database (118 vs 184). These numbers seem
to support Ronald Rousseau's 50% assumption.

Judit Bar-Ilan

At 12:03 27/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Dear friends: I did not see this message when I responded a few minutes
>ago to Michel Menou and see that our good friend Ron Rousseau is the one
>who has made the assumption about 50%.  I can see that this is a wild
>guess based upon some anecdotal perception of how much literature is
>covered by traditional abstracting and indexing services and what "may"
>appear in the non-indexed literature and in web sites.
>
>Since my valiant assistant traces references to my name on web sites I
>receive a list every week or two of about a dozen sites. Most of these are
>not true citations but rather mentions of my name for one reason or
>another as e.g. in a course listing.
>
>I agree with Ron and the others that it would be important for each
>individual to be aware of who is using their work, but don't get your
>hopes up too high. Gene
>
>When responding, please attach my original message
>
>Eugene Garfield, Ph.D.  E-mail: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
>  Telephone:  (215)243-2205   Fax: (215)387-1266
>  Web site: www.eugenegarfield.org
>Past President, American Society for Information Science & Technology
>(ASIS&T) -    www.asis.org
>Chairman Emeritus,Institute for Scientific Information ( ISI),
>  3501 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3389,   www.isinet.com
>Pres.,Ed.-in-Chief,  The Scientist,
>  3535 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3385,    www.the-scientist.com

Judit Bar-Ilan
School of Library, Archive and Information Studies
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Room 208, Levy Building, Givat Ram
P.O. Box 1255, Jerusalem, 90904 Israel
Tel: 972-2-6584663  Fax: 972-2-6585707