Personal Citation Index and ASCA

Garfield, Eugene Garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Nov 27 11:55:09 EST 2001

It seems that we have at last found something controversial to discuss on
this listserv.

Of course Michel has absolutely no evidence that what he says is true in
information science or any other field. In all my forty years of citation
related work I have never seen any evidence or claim like that. I can
imagine that Michel is extrapolating from the number of source journals
covered by ISI, but I will leave it to him to explain his assumption.

As regards the Personal Citation Index I am somewhat dumbfounded. Perhaps
whoever  suggested that excellent idea has never heard of the Personal
Citation Alert that ISI has been providing commercially for 35 years. Every
week I receive a list of the papers covered in ISI that cite my work, among
others. This used to be called ASCA--Automatic Subject Citation Alert.

Since the founding of the Web of Science this is also something you can do
with a personal profiling system.

What is missing is coverage of source books, although it is not widely known
that ISI does cover quite a few monographic series including those published
by and for ASIST. Best wishes. Gene Garfield

When responding, please attach my original message
----
Eugene Garfield, Ph.D.  E-mail: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
 Telephone:  (215)243-2205   Fax: (215)387-1266
 Web site: www.eugenegarfield.org
Past President, American Society for Information Science & Technology
(ASIS&T) -    www.asis.org
Chairman Emeritus,Institute for Scientific Information ( ISI),
 3501 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3389,   www.isinet.com
Pres.,Ed.-in-Chief,  The Scientist,
 3535 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3385,    www.the-scientist.com