Personal Citation Index

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTK.EDU
Tue Nov 27 18:19:33 EST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:00:19 -0500
From: Mike Koenig <mkoenig at LIU.EDU>

  The idea is interesting, but I concur with Gene on his point of "don't get
your hopes up too high".  Most of us don't have a "valiant assistant" to
check our citations, and we know who is citing us only in very incomplete
and haphazard fashion.  Furthermore, of the people who do have a valiant
assistant and do know who is citing them, they would hardly be a
representative sample.  There is probably a high correlation between those
with valiant assistants, and those who are often cited not just for their
specific contributions, but also as exemplars of a field or activity or
concept, and their citation pattern would have far greater dispersion than
typical (a low "K" number in the Bradford scatter, i.e. an usually large
proportion of citations out toward the fringe).

best,   Mike Koenig