[Sigiii-l] A tribute to Sue

Ifeanyi Njoku iphienjoku at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 07:01:02 EDT 2007

A TRIBUTE TO A RARE GEM

It is with shock, a heavy heart and grief that I read the news of the passing unto glory of Sue Snyder O'Neill Johnson, a rare gem, I call her.

I came in contact with Sue as an award winner of the SIG III paper contest in 2003, since then she had been my mentor in both professional and personal life issues. On her recommendation, I was a receipient of the infoshare program for two years. I had shared rooms with her on various occasions when we attended conferences together, she was just more than a mentor to me and many like me from developing countries. Sue never got tiredof hearing from you and offering  help in any situation. Even at her age she was full of strength.

She had been instrumental to the exposure of many librarians from developing world internationally . She was a blessing to library and information science.  Sue was an instrumental leader, a dear and inspirational friend and mother to all who met her, a woman with  many talents and strength, a woman of substance, tremendously generous, selfless in the support of others and a great mentor. She was just  more than a friend.

We shall remember and miss her contribution to Information Professionals of developing countries for a very long time.

I find it difficult to believe that she is no more. Adieu, dear friend, we love you but God loves you more. I know you have gone to be with the Lord.

I wil miss her.

Ify